Debts & Deliquencies

I am behind with National Health Insurance fees.

For the National Health Insurance, the word “short” is printed on your insurance card. You cannot proceed unless you pay for your health insurance fee. At the same time, please check for any delinquent tax, such as light vehicle tax and residence tax. Similarly, you cannot proceed further unless you pay them fully. If you have been working for a company that issues social insurance, you do not have to worry. (This only applies if you have worked for at least 3 years.)

I have a credit card debt.

Even if you have a credit card debt, it is still possible to get a loan explaining to the bank that you will repay your debts.

I have consumer finance debt.

Please repay loans from consumer finances by borrowing money from banks (Either by Visa or Mastercard) since having loans from consumer finances doesn’t make a good impression on mortgage companies.

I have a car loan.

It depends on the amount of outstanding debt and the amount borrowed, but generally there is no problem.

I'm blacklisted by credit card companies/cell phone companies.

How many years have you been on the blacklist, and how many years have passed since then? There will be no problem depending on how long ago you have repaid your debts. Otherwise, please repay them first.

I got married and my last name has changed. It became black at the time of the previous surname.

Even if your last name has changed, you should still be on a blacklist. Therefore, please do not hide it as there will be records. However, as long as you repay your debts, you can still apply.

I am borrowing money from a friend.

No problem.

Costs & Charges & Services

How much is the down payment?

The down payment is 5% to 10% of the property price. In the case of a newly built detached house, it will cost 1 million yen or more. If you can’t afford the deposit, HANABUSA can lend it to you temporarily (This is not a problem since you can return the money to Hanabusa when a mortgage is provided).

How much is the brokerage fee for Hanabusa?

Our brokerage fee is “property price * 3% + 60,000 yen (excluding tax)”. Since Hanabusa basically handles only properties of 4 million yen or more, the brokerage fee is calculated by the above formula. The brokerage fee is basically paid by a mortgage if you get approved. 

How much is the total?

The formula for calculating the total price is: Property price + brokerage fee + other expenses. All of the above costs can be covered by a mortgage (when using Flat35). A bank mortgage can cover all of them as well, but it is not guaranteed. You may be asked to pay other expenses yourself.

I want to buy a house in Osaka

We provide support for regions outside of the Kanto region, but we will charge a separate transportation fee.

I would like to buy an investment property.

We also support the purchase of investment properties. However, we do not support the application of investment loans, so please prepare your own funds.

Is there a separate interpreter fee?

No. It is included in the brokerage fee.

I want to build a house.

We do not support custom-built homes.

How much is the property tax?

It depends on the area.

Which do you recommend, a condo or a detached house?

 If it is a condo, a repair management fee will be charged every month. So in the long run, a detached house may be cheaper.

Do you also sell used detached houses?

Yes. The process of purchasing a used detached house is the same as purchasing a new detached house.

What kind of land right is the house on?

Our company only deals with properties that have ownership rights.

Do you have rental properties?

No, we do not handle rental properties.

Status & Qualifications

I am not a permanent resident.

A major city bank will let you borrow a loan, although there are major hurdles to overcome such as your annual income.

I don't have a registered seal.

If your name is Japanese, a stamp from “100 yen shop” is sufficient. If you go to a stamp shop, you can ask them to make a stamp with a Katakana name for about 1000 yen.

I can't write in Japanese.

Please at least practice writing your address and name. Our staff will assist you with everything else involving writing Japanese.

I'm not married, but we are living together and we are trying to get a loan together.

Since both of you are not married, you cannot do that.

My husband's income is low, so I want to apply for a mortgage in place of my husband.

Even though it is technically allowed, you will very likely be asked the questions, “Why is it necessary?” And, “What is the reason?” This is because financial institutions in Japan think it is suspicious for a wife to apply for a mortgage instead of the husband.

I want to apply alone, but I want to put my name and wife’s (or husband’s) name on the ownership certificate.

In order to do this, you need to have enough cash, and you also have to borrow some mortgage. It is also necessary to obtain the consent of the financial institution.

I'm divorced, but I live with ex-wife/ex-husband. The resident's card(Juminhyo) is also the same address.

 In this case, you have to explain to mortgage companiese that you are divorced, and you do not live together anymore. If both of you are still living together, you have to explain to the loan agency why both of you are still living together after divorce.

I don't have a driver's license.

Your My Number Card and your Resident Card can act as a substitute.

The address on my driver's license and the address on my resident card are different.

Please make changes to them so that they are the same.

I am self-employed.

You will need tax returns for 3 terms.

I am self-employed and have debts for the machines I use.

No problem, but please be sure that your business is making profit.

I am on a part time job.

No problem, as long as your annual income is enough.

I'm a contract employee.

If you have proof that you have worked last year as well, you can apply for a mortgage.

I live on a pension.

 If you are living on a pension, we suggest applying with your children who are also qualified, and make them as the main applicant. The reason for doing this is that you could get a bigger mortgage this way.

It's been 3 months since I started working.

Since it is likely that you changed jobs 3 months ago, you can declare last year’s salary. By doing this, you still have a chance to apply.

I only have an annual income of 1.5 million yen.

1.5 million yen is not enough. Therefore, we recommend applying with a family member who is also qualified such as a permanent visa holder. By combining your incomes, you can potentially get a bigger mortgage.

Can I get a loan at my company?

It can be done, but we do not provide loan application support in the name of the company.

I have two jobs.

It is possible to add up the two incomes.

I would like to increase the loan amount by adding up my spouse and income.

You can combine your incomes if the conditions are met.

I would like to increase the loan amount by adding up the income of parents and children.

You can add up their incomes if the conditions are met.

Can I apply for a mortgage with a work visa?

Depending on the mortgage, it is possible.

Can I apply for a mortgage with a long-term stay visa?

Depending on the mortgage, it is possible.

Can I apply for a mortgage with a refugee visa?

No, it is impossible.


How much is the mortgage interest?

Flat 35 mortgage has a fixed interest rate of about 1.5%. With a bank mortgage, the interest rate varies depending on the bank, but the floating interest rate is about 1.3%. Although bank mortgages have lower interest rates, the screening process is stricter than Flat35. Therefore, some people only recommend Flat35.

What is the typical repayment period for mortgages?

The most common repayment period is 35 years. However, the maximum repayment period is determined by age. People less than the age of 44 have a maximum repayment period of 35 years. People that are 45 years old or above can calculate their maximum repayment period with the following equation: 

(Maximum Repayment Period) = 35 – (Age – 44).

For example, a person with age 48 will have a maximum repayment period of 31 years.

I would like to take out a mortgage with the shortest repayment period possible.

Yes, if you can afford it. However, if you don’t have any self-financing, we recommend a 35-year loan.

Can the cost of air conditioner and TV be included in the mortgage?

Depending on the mortgage program, you can request an additional loan for home appliances.

How long does it take to get the result of the pre-screening?

Usually you get the results in 3 to 7 days. However, it might take longer for some people.

Is it possible to fail the screening even if I pass the pre-screening?

Yes, it is possible.

How long does it take to buy a house?

About 2 months if you are applying for a mortgage. It takes about 1 month to purchase with your own funds.